- Town Manager
- Filing a Claim
Filing a Claim
Personal Injury and Property Damage
The Town Manager's Office is ONLY responsible for the filing of your claim and has no further involvement once it is forwarded to the Town's Insurer, MIIA.
MIIA requires sufficient time to complete an investigation of your claim. Compensation is paid only if the Town of Longmeadow is found liable. Liability is based on whether the Town knew of the pothole before your accident and failed to fix it in a reasonable amount of time. A reasonable amount of time varies based on number of factors including the number of potholes, weather and availability of equipment, materials and personnel.
To preserve your rights, if the Town does NOT pay your claim, you may pursue your matter in the appropriate state court within three (3) years from the date of the incident.
HOW TO FILE A CLAIM
If you incurred damages or injuries caused by roadway and sidewalk defects or potholes within town limits and are seeking a reimbursement or were involved in a collision with a vehicle owned or leased by the town, please follow the procedure outlined below. Note: All claims for sidewalk, roadway or pothole incidents MUST be filed within thirty (30) days of the date of the incident
Your claim must include the following items:
- Detailed explanation of damages or injuries suffered.
- Exact location of incident.
- Date of incident.
- Town vehicle registration/plate number (if applicable).
Items that may be included with your claim:
- Itemized estimate of damages and/or receipts.
- Copy of Police Report if applicable.
- Pictures, preferably color.
- Copy of medical bills for personal injuries.
- If estimate of repairs is over $500, a second estimate may be required.
File your claim and any supplemental information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- All claims for sidewalk, roadway or pothole incidents MUST be filed within thirty (30) days of the date of the incident per the Statute of Limitations Law - MGL Chapter 84, Section 18.
- The Town is not responsible for claims due to snow or ice, - MA General Law Chapter 84, Section 17
- The maximum amount of damages recoverable from a defect in way claim from the Town is $5,000. - MA General Law Chapter 84, Section 15
- All claims involving Town-owned or leased vehicles or personal injuries MUST be filed within two (2) years of the date of the incident per the Statute of Limitations Law, - MA General Law Chapter 258, Section 4